Race Report: Thruxton, 26 May 1975


The latest round of the BP Super Visco Static round was at Thruxton and once again it was a works March on pole, Gunnar Nilsson taking the fastest time in practice. Second quickest was the Safir of Patrick Neve which this week was fitted with a Holbay Ford twin-cam instead of the Pinto unit that had been used previously. Those in trouble during practice included Terry Perkins who blew a head gasket in his Ralt which caused him to miss the race and Ian Taylor whose GRD-Holbay was suffering from overheating problems.

Once again it was Gunnar Nilsson who leapt into the lead with Patrick Neve making a great start to slot into second followed by Danny Sullivan and Alex Ribeiro. Suddenly on the third lap the race was stopped, Rupert Keegan’s March stripped second gear at the start, his slowing March was struck on the left front wheel by Tony Rouff’s Ehrlich and both cars spun into the barrier with Rouff’s car being launched over Keegan’s. The red flags were shown when it was clear that Keegan was trapped by his foot in the car and needed to be cut out, fortunately his injuries were relatively light, a broken toe and heavy bruising to his legs and feet.
The race was restarted with Nilsson once again taking the lead but this time Ribeiro and Sullivan filled second and third ahead of Neve. The Safir seemed faster that the Modus in a straight line and it didn’t take Neve long to pass Sullivan. Nilsson was extending his lead at the front and his task was made easier as Ribeiro spun at the chicane on the sixth lap, both Neve and Sullivan were badly held up in avoiding the rotating Brazilian. Sullivan recovered the fastest to take second although once again after four laps of chasing the Modus Neve’s speed advantage gave him second. Neve chased after Nilsson who backed off a little to save his tyres but he had the race well in hand and the Swede came home by two seconds to claim the win, Sullivan took third from a fast closing Hervé Regout.
Those out of luck included Ian Taylor whose engine overheated again, Chris Barnett retired with a broken rocker and Ingo Hoffman who was out after three laps with his throttle stuck open.



Race Report: Thruxton, 26 May 1975

Race Heat 1

1 Vittorio Brambilla

Birel Alfa Romeo 20:09.40

2 Fabrizio Noe

Lotus-Ford 69 20:09.50

3 Luigi Fontanesi

Tecno-Ford 20:13.10

4 Carlo Franchi (Gimax)

De Sanctis-Alfa Romeo 20:23.40

Race Heat 2

1 Giovanni Lo Voi

Brabham-Ford BT28 15:05.00

2 Adelmo Fossati

Brabham BT28 15:05.00

3 Patrice Compain

Martini-Ford MW7 15:21.00

4 Manfred Möhr

Lotus-Ford 15:34.10

5 Marcello Gallo

Brabham BT28

Race Final

1 Vittorio Brambilla

Birel Alfa Romeo 30:44.30 144.318

2 Marcello Gallo

Brabham BT28 30:44.34

3 Fabrizio Noe

Lotus-Ford 69 30:45.10

4 Adelmo Fossati

Brabham BT28 30:55.40

5 Patrice Compain

Martini-Ford MW7 31:08.00

6 Carlo Franchi (Gimax)

De Sanctis-Alfa Romeo 31:11.50

7 Manfred Möhr

Lotus-Ford 31:59.60

8 Giovanni Lo Voi

Martini-Ford MW7 31:08.00