Race Report: Thruxton, 28 October 1973


A small but good quality entry arrived at Thruxton for the final round of the Forward Trust Championship and at the end of practice it was Brazilian pseudonym “Teleco” who set the fastest time in his March 733 ahead of the similar car of Richard Robarts and the Dastle Mk10B of Barrie Maskell. All ready crowned champion Ian Taylor sat on row two, his qualifying blighted by fuel pressure problems. Further back Glen Eagling was having a one-off outing in the Modus March 733 usually driven by Mo Harness.
There were two notable non -starters, Mike Wilds whose engine blew up after only a few laps and newcomer, Brazilian F Ford champion, Alex Dias-Ribeiro. The Brazilian had hired Leonel Friedrich’s March 733 with Hollywood sponsorship but after working his way down to a 1:21.8 a large accident at Village damaged the car, the driver emerging unscathed.

It was “Teleco” who got the best start as the flag fell and he led round the first lap followed by Richard Robarts, Ian Taylor, Barrie Maskell (who had been passed by Taylor at the complex), Tony Rouff’s GRD was next chased by Matt Spitzley’s March and Nicholas von Preussen who proceeded to have a big spin at the chicane in his 733. Robarts managed to grab the lead at the chicane at the end of the first lap but “Teleco” reasserted himself at the complex but Robarts hadn’t given up. As “Teleco” and Robarts entered the chicane on lap 2 Robarts tried for the lead on the outside, the two cars touched but both drivers managed to keep on the road without loosing position.
Once again as the two leaders entered the chicane on lap 3 Robarts tried for the lead and this time by braking as late as possible the Myson car scrabbled into the lead it would hold for the rest of the race. “Teleco” stayed a close second for the remaining laps despite coming under pressure from Taylor in the closing laps and he lead the Baty car over the line by 0.6 seconds.
Maskell lost his fourth place with a spin at the chicane on the second lap allowing Rouff and Spitzley through although the Dastle regained fifth from Spitzley at the chicane on the last lap. Nicholas von Preussen pulled back to seventh after his first lap spin to lead home Derek Lawrence in the Ehrlich.



Race Report: Thruxton, 28 October 1973

Race Heat 1

1 Vittorio Brambilla

Birel Alfa Romeo 20:09.40

2 Fabrizio Noe

Lotus-Ford 69 20:09.50

3 Luigi Fontanesi

Tecno-Ford 20:13.10

4 Carlo Franchi (Gimax)

De Sanctis-Alfa Romeo 20:23.40

Race Heat 2

1 Giovanni Lo Voi

Brabham-Ford BT28 15:05.00

2 Adelmo Fossati

Brabham BT28 15:05.00

3 Patrice Compain

Martini-Ford MW7 15:21.00

4 Manfred Möhr

Lotus-Ford 15:34.10

5 Marcello Gallo

Brabham BT28

Race Final

1 Vittorio Brambilla

Birel Alfa Romeo 30:44.30 144.318

2 Marcello Gallo

Brabham BT28 30:44.34

3 Fabrizio Noe

Lotus-Ford 69 30:45.10

4 Adelmo Fossati

Brabham BT28 30:55.40

5 Patrice Compain

Martini-Ford MW7 31:08.00

6 Carlo Franchi (Gimax)

De Sanctis-Alfa Romeo 31:11.50

7 Manfred Möhr

Lotus-Ford 31:59.60

8 Giovanni Lo Voi

Martini-Ford MW7 31:08.00